Wednesday, August 19, 2009

small moments

I was at a baby shower where we were asked to give advice about motherhood. After ten or so of the women went I just could not get up the nerve to talk. Although I force myself to be outgoing when I am in "ministry mode" at some time in the last few years I have become very reserved - almost shy.

I have been thinking about that question for the past couple days. What, in my almost 5 years of motherhood, would be my greatest advice?

When John and I started dating we had a long distance relationship. John would call me on the phone and ask me what the best part of my day was. This has continued through out our whole marriage. So often I think during the day of what my answer will be. This has been such a good thing for me with my children. Not only do I try to pick out good moments that I have had with them throughout the day but I have also learned to treasure a moment; a hug, a kiss, when they make me laugh. Sometimes it's something that I should get mad about, like when my daughter finds my some lipstick and decided she wants to be just like mommy. Other times it's when my son finally says a word that we have working on for a while. It can be a simple as my children showing each other affection or kindness.

My favorite moments are when my children fall asleep next to me or in my arms. I can watch their sweet little faces and remember all that I love about them. I can forget the discipline of the day and the frustrating moments and focus on them with all the love I have.

That is my advice M, treasure moments, love, and laugh. Motherhood is frustrating and wonderful all at the same time. We have to focus on those wonderful moments even if they come while our children are sleeping.

1 comment:

SJ said...

Good advice :) I need to put that into practice!